About Memorial Pages

A memorial is a wonderful way to remember a lost companion. It is a place to keep alive the memory of the special bond you had with your friend, and can help with the grieving process.

For a donation of $100 or more, we can create a page with a story and photo of your friend.  By donating to the Foundation, you are honoring your loved one’s memory by supporting awareness, education and studies that will lead to longer, healthier lives for animals in the future.  Once you have made your donation, please contact us to provide details and a photo of your pet.

All Memorial Pages

Shanna Selepouchin

When I was in second grade, my parents pulled me out of class unexpectedly.  When I asked why, my dad told me we were going to pick my mother up from work.  After we did that, we headed to somewhere I had never been before.  As we pulled up to the house, I heard a dog start barking.  Being the animal lover I was and always have been, I was excited to get to meet the pup!  An nice, elderly couple opened the door and invited us in.  Then they let their beautiful 2 year old golden retriever out of the guest room to come say hi.  Immediately, we were rolling around on the floor together playing!  After a few minutes, I tuned in to what the "adults" were discussing- we were going home with this pup!  I was elated! While the couple loved and cherished Shanna so much, they had just found out that the man had cancer and the woman could not take care of him and a large pup at her age, so they sadly gave her away a new home.  Though they cried as we rolled out of their driveway with our new family member, they knew that she was in good hands.  And boy, was she! Shanna and I grew up together all the way through high school.  She was the family dog, but I had such a close bond that I felt like she was all mine.  We would bring her on family vacations, and she was always right by our side.  And she is still the only Golden I ever met who did not like the water!  If you threw her ball into the water, she would look at you as if to say "Ok, now are YOU going to get it?  Because I'm certainly not!".  She wouldn't go outside if it was raining because she didn't want her feet to get wet, and boy, did she love getting a haircut and a new bandanna from the groomer!  She had a bandanna for every holiday, every occasion.  Whether she knew she looked good or just liked the attention, she would sit and pose real pretty each time you'd put one on her. At age 12, she slipped on the wood floor and broke her leg (while running excitedly to the door as she did up until the very end!).  At that time, the vet said she may have osteosarcoma and that it won't be too long until we need to say goodbye.  Fortunately for us, the doctor's diagnosis was wrong and we enjoyed two more happy years with her.  One morning I woke up to find her not acting like herself.  I had a strong feeling this was it.  We brought her in to the vet and while waiting for test results, we were told she passed away quietly.  She was a happy, healthy dog up until that very day and I feel blessed to have had 14 wonderful years with her.  Though we weren't there at the very moment she passed, I'll never forget the last look that we exchanged as I watched the vet techs take her to the back room.  It was a peaceful farewell look that I will hold dear to me along with all of the great memories of my loyal childhood friend.  Even today, her photo sits proudly in my living room, and am happy to share my fond stories with friends who see it. ~Lauren Parsons

Khow Crusenberry

In Memory of Khow While living in Thailand for several months in 1995, I had the good fortune to meet Khow—one of the thousands of homeless dogs roaming the streets of Bangkok. Khow and two other dogs lived in the parking garage beneath the apartment building where my husband and I lived. They ate whatever scraps were tossed down by the maids, security guards, and drivers--and drank dirty water from the buckets used to wash the cars of building residents. Khow was in terrible shape even by street dog standards. He had been hit by a car and received no medical treatment. His left front leg had been broken and was now healed at an angle. His right eye was missing and an infected open wound remained. He was very thin, had little hair, was badly infested with lice, his soft teeth were worn down below the gum line, and you could smell him before you saw him. The skin on his hips was so thickly calloused from sleeping on concrete that it hung down on each side like an apron. Beneath this exterior, however, was a very gentle and sweet dog who was grateful for any kind word, gentle touch, or small handout. During my stay in Bangkok, I fed him every day and arranged for necessary medical treatments such as vaccinations, neutering, eye surgery, and delousing. Unfortunately, since the apartment building did not permit pets inside--he continued to live with the other street dogs in the parking garage throughout this time. When I prepared to return to Virginia, I distributed cases of dog food to building residents and pleaded with them to continue feeding Khow and the other parking garage dogs. I desperately wanted to bring him home with me but my husband did not agree—so I returned home without him. To make a very long story very short--ultimately my pleadings worked—and six weeks later Khow arrived at Dulles Airport via British Airways Air Cargo with a thick stack of paperwork attached to his crate. After six months of medical treatment and lots of food--he gained 30 pounds, the callouses disappeared, he grew a luxurious thick coat of white hair, and even learned to understand English. Khow continued to live with us in Alexandria with our two other dogs and one cat for seven years and three months before his death from kidney failure in 2003—at about the age of fourteen. His health had started to fail in the last eighteen months of his life requiring specialized care. Thanks to the compassionate and excellent treatment provided by his vet, Dr. Peter Farrell, his internist, Dr. Kathy Arrington, and his cardiologist, Dr. Braz-Ruivo--his quality of life was good until the last few weeks. Although Khow has been gone for many years, the memories of him are still strong with everyone he met. He enchanted both adults and children with his very gentle nature and joy for living. He was always happy and seemed to delight in everything around him--people, dogs, cats, squirrels, birds, sunny days, snow, grass, or the smallest treat. He was a very special companion with a huge heart--and we miss him every day.   Pat Crusenberry

Daisy Azucena

In Loving Memory Daisy - 10/26/03 to 09/15/08 God saw you getting tired, and a cure was not to be, so He put his arms around you and whispered, “Come to Me.” With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw you pass away, and although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working paws at rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best. We Love you forever, little Daisy Dukes.   Katrina & Carlos Azucena

Duke Falconite

In loving memory of our precious girl, Duke. We miss you terribly but find comfort in knowing you no longer suffer. You will always be our "Doodle Bug". Love you so much, Mike & Angie Falconite

Doodlebug Babkie

You were the best little boy anyone could have ever hoped for and I miss you dreadfully. My special companion and bullie boy- you endured so many things with sweetness and a life joy that was amazing. You will forever be in my heart. ~Andrea Babkie

Clifford Kurtz

Clifford, the big red dog, got his name since he was a red, "field retriever". He loves the Deer Lease where he loves to run the perimeter of the hunting camp, chase cows and keep them away from the truck and RV, and run ahead of the truck towards the deer blind with aplomb and reckless abandon. He was the BEST dog I ever laid eyes on, met, or Loved. I loved him more than about 99% of the Human beings I have met. He rode the Jet-Ski with me while I pulled my husband behind on skis (no lie). He rode on the front of the boat with his chest bowed out like a hood ornament. He rode on the back of the truck and barked sometimes the whole way back from the deer lease, which was 3 counties away. He swallowed a fish hook once because my husband laid down his fishing rod to help his cousin bait a hook . . . I guess he thought "Stinky-Bait" was an epicurean delight. Anyway, that indiscretion cost us $1,500 and a harrowing ride from Lake Medina to get him to the emergency vet on a Saturday night within 90 minutes . . . seems dogs process things from stomach to intestines within 90 minutes and we had to beat the clock before he perforated his intestines, etc. He poked his head into strollers so he could say Hi to babies, and sat on people's feet when they petted him . . . we all know he was just "leaning" . . . he would push on and lift up your hand for petting and if he was riding inside the truck he would stick his "fuzzy muzzle" up under your left elbow and armpit for loving attention. If we were in the living room leaning back in the la-z-boy chair, he would walk up between our feet, each foot on the outside of his red, lambs-ear-like protuberances of his, and we would have to pivot our feet up and down for his ear scratching that we called "footy-rubbin." When we adopted him from my boss a little over 14 years ago, he brought his favorite chew-toy, a rubber, squeaking "newspaper." Eventually, his favorite outside toy was a yellow, fluted orb that he would squeak profusely when he was happy, and his favorite toy out in the country was a turquoise and red mini soccer ball that he squeaked so much that some of the hexagons broke apart. About the only time he didn't have one of those 2 toys in his mouth was when he was laying down in the front yard under the Red Oak. He would sit out there, waiting patiently, while his 'daddy' changed the oil on my car or re-packed the bearings on his truck. At those times, I would call Clifford to the "beer Fridge" in the garage, and hand him some ice cubes . . . as many as he could hold in his mouth . . . usually only about 2 at a time while he walked away to the comfort of the shade of the Red Oak and the cool softness of the Zoysia grass carpet underneath. Of course, he was like a kid in the candy store when we came back with him from Lake Medina or Canyon Lake and dumped the ice from the Igloo or the Coleman cooler around the base of the Red Oak . . . he was like the Marilyn Monroe of dogs . . . "Ice is a Dog's Best Friend." Although he loved to chew on things, he never chewed on anything in the house . . . including the cats. When Clifford first came home 14 years ago, he met our Maine Coon Cat, Butterscotch. Wanting to play, he chased Butterscotch like a bee-line path from the front door through the Dining room and Living room all the way through to the bedroom where Butterscotch jumped up onto the bed, thus leveling the odds, whipped around and fired a warning "shot" across his "bow" . . . Clifford hence always had a healthy respect for the feline persuasion and gave Butterscotch a "wide berth." Mickey D, on the other hand, was a totally different story. Rescued as a baby from a parking garage 4 years ago, he liked to "wrestle" with the big, red dog, Cliffy. They would play so hard that Mickey had slobber from Cliffy all over his neck, face and ears . . . that cat would play so hard and consternate him so much that Cliffy would place his mouth over Mickey's head, like a Lion act at the circus, but he never once hurt the little feisty feline. He would growl and they would carry on like the WWE, but neither one of them ever got hurt. In fact, if Clifford would stop playing too soon, the little cat we called "the Instigator" would arch his back and cock his ears and dance sideways like a "halloween cat" special trying to entice Clifford to chase him through the house again with aplomb and reckless abandon. As fun and as big as his zest for life was, Clifford was also the best-mannered, and most well-behaved living organism - Yes, I said it - better than most human kids I have witnessed in public. Clifford was such a good dog that I took him to the Antiques extravaganza in Round Top (TX) where an old codger offered me ANY antique in his inventory as a trade for my dog -- I resisted and retorted back that we had a deal if he instead would take my husband in the trade. We also took him to the world's largest flea market in Canton (TX) and snuck him into many a hotel - Super 8, Motel 6, and even La Quinta - No one ever knew because he was so good! We used to take him to Lowe's and Home Depot, but someone had a persnickety dog of the yappy persuasion that ended that - or so we thought. I started wearing my Guide Dogs of America T-shirt and they never questioned me, or Clifford, again. After spending almost a decade and a half with (wo)/man's best friend, I can't help think of the phrase: Right Dog, Right People, Right Time. ~K. Kurtz

Rosie Morgan

Rosie came into my life as a puppy right before my daughter went off to college. She was a gift from the family for Mother's Day and my birthday. Right from the start she was funny, endearing, loved people and just wormed her way into everyone's heart. She got me through empty nest - because 2 years after my daughter went away, my son went off to college across the country. We did agility together, took walks and hung out. She was best buds with my older golden, Jake,even though he basically tolerated her! In 2009, 2 short months after my husband passed away, we found a lump on her side. My son noticed that it had changed almost overnight and was getting bigger. We took her in for her first surgery at age 4. After several tests and biopsies, the diagnosis came back as histeocytic sarcoma. They had to re-open the wound and take out more margin to prevent recurrence. We then went to NEVOG for a 6 month chemotherapy regime. She did very well, she continued to compete in agility and other than her surgery recovery was a very happy active dog throughout the treatment. 6 months later we left NEVOG with a clean bill of health. In January of 2010, she started limping. At first the vet treated her for inflammation and injury, but each time the medication stopped, she would limp again. Finally he sent her to an orthopedic specialist who actually found a new lump way up on her rib cage under her left leg. Back to NEVOG we went. This time, after another biopsy and cat scan, the tumor was deemed inoperable due to its location in the connective tissue. They gave her 6 months to live. We embarked on another long term chemo regime and again, with daily anti-inflammatory and her chemo, she was happy and very active and continued to compete in agility. During this time she earned her Excellent Standard and Jumpers titles in AKC! She remained on this regime until April of 2011 when the cancer started to spread and the chemo stopped working. I put her on a stronger I.V chemo for 2 cycles, but it made her very sick, so we stopped. At that time, we went to pain management only. She did very well for a long while until this month. Almost overnight she stopped eating, refused water and quickly within several days became very ill. On Tuesday August 24th, with her family at her side, Rosie crossed the bridge with our help. She was a special dog and helped me through some very difficult times in my life. It was the least I could do to help her ease out of the pain and suffering cancer was causing her. I will always love and miss her. Cheryl Morgan and Family

Lanie Goren

When our daughter came home from college, she brought Lanie, a border collie, with her. I was not sure what to make of Lanie, but our daughter and Lanie came as a package deal. When I came home from work, Lanie would greet me with great excitement, often bringing a toy to play with. She freely gave me her heart, and Lanie stole my heart in return. Lanie was always upbeat, friendly and smart. Lanie quickly learned all the typical dog commands. Even more impressive was that she figured out words such as “upstairs” and “downstairs” without being taught. We had to spell out “W-A-L-K” because whenever she heard the word “walk” she would run to where we keep her leash and get excited. My wife or I would ask the other person if they wanted the empty ice cream dish brought into the kitchen, and Lanie quickly figured out that “kitchen” meant she would get to clean up the remaining drops of ice cream in the bowl. While going to the kitchen, she would turn around and keep an eye on us to be certain that we were on our way! Border collies are very industrious, and Lanie was no exception. Often when reading, I would look up and find her staring at me, as if to say “c’mon, we have important things to do – let’s get moving.” A few years ago, I became a home office worker. Lanie quickly determined the daily rhythm. She would come to my office promptly at Noon to tell me it was lunchtime and would run to her leash for a walk when I finished eating. At 6 PM she would return to my office to tell me it was time to turn off the computer and start paying attention to her. When I returned from a business trip, she was waiting for me at the door and was ecstatic that I returned. She would sit right next to me when I reviewed the pile of mail, and then follow me upstairs when I emptied my suitcase. In January 2010, Lanie acted out of sorts, and she was diagnosed with multiple myeloma. Of course, she had the finest medical care, and Lanie quickly returned to her usual ebullient self. The veterinary oncologist frequently adjusted her medicine and Lanie continued to appear normal until the end of December 2010. The cancer finally overwhelmed her, and we lost Lanie on January 2, 2011. Our daughter summed up Lanie’s impact on all of us when she gave Lanie a farewell hug and said “thank you for being such a good friend.” We really are grateful for the extra year of good health that Lanie had to share with us, and are glad to be able to contribute to an organization that helped make it possible. The Goren Family

Daisy Clark

Missed By: Connie, Jeff, Catherine, Jenna & David and all our family and friends whose lives were touched by our sweet Daisy Daisy, we knew when we brought you home from the shelter at 3 years old, we were going to give you a better life... One which you very much deserved. Little did we know how much better you were going to make our lives. We miss you everyday. And love you very much.

Ginnie Gabriel

UACHX Fireside Virginia Bluebell,OA,OAJ,NAC-V,O-NGC-V,RL1-AOE,RLV-AOE-V April 14, 1997 - July 8, 2010 Therapy dog Best friend and trial mate Mentor and housemate to Pepsi Always in our hearts Somewhere in the universe, a little red puppy who loves to retrieve is running and playing with so many of her friends. We miss you, baby girl. I know the Man Upstairs is looking out for you, and you'll be waiting for us when it's our turn ~Marian and Pepsi Virginia Bluebell Artist: Lambert Miranda Song: Virginia Bluebell Album: Revolution Carrying the weight on the end of a limb You’re just waiting for somebody to pick you up again Shaded by a tree, can’t live up to a rose All you ever wanted was a sunny place to grow Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of ‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell You’re my Virginia Bluebell My Virginia Bluebell Even through a stone a flower can bloom You just need a little push, Spring is coming soon Umbrella in the rain, let it roll off your back Weather what you can, realize what you have Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of ‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell You’re my Virginia Bluebell My Virginia Bluebell Put a little light in the darkest places Put a little smile on the saddest faces Pretty little thing, sometimes you gotta look up And let the world see all the beauty that you’re made of ‘Cause the way you hang your head nobody can tell You’re my Virginia Bluebell My Virginia Bluebell

Beau Gordon

In loving memory of my orange tabby, Beau and in honor of Dr. Conor McNeill, DVM, DACVIM (Oncology), and Dr. Heidi Allen, DVM, ACVIM of The Hope Center for Advanced Veterinary Medicine for all they did for him. "A Gentle Man who was a Gentleman to the End."   ~Lauren Gordon


George was my neighbor's cat and he was a good kitty. He didn’t seem to like anyone outside of his owners except me for some reason, and I loved him in return. George was rescued by my neighbors many years ago and has been loved ever since. He used to sit and look outside the back door and watch the birds and squirrels as did my two cats. My two cats did go outside and they both seemed to have developed a special relationship with George. Timothy, my one cat, who also did not like anyone else except me and my neighbors, developed a love affair with George. While they were both male cats, they would just sit together. George inside and Timothy just on the stoop outside. After Timmy died of cancer many years ago I still remember the day that George howled a grievous howl wanting to know where his friend was. It was so soulful and sad. It expressed everything I was feeling so profoundly. George was a special kitty. I loved when I would come home from the end of a long day and he would be seated on his window perch in my neighbors second floor window waiting for me. He would say “hello” to me and it brightened my day. All cats are great in the eyes of their owners, they are the "best cat ever", but George was truly one of those special and unique cats stole your heart away. He died of a multitude of health issues, but mainly it was his heart that challenged him. He never complained and acted like a trooper through the whole ordeal. As I watched his owners go above and beyond in his care I knew he was good hands. He was a very loved kitty. I know his cardiologists did everything they could for him, but it was just his time to leave us. He is and will be missed. When I come home at night and he’s not there, I miss him. And I still walk outside my back door and look for him and hope by some miracle he’ll be sitting there, but I know he’s in the arms of angels. Thank you George for sharing your love with me and Timothy. I’d like to think that they are both sitting together again, just enjoying the great beyond and each other’s company in the sun watching the birds and squirrels. ~.Christa


FOR THOSE I LOVE For those I love who love me too Remembering you is what I do. I will always be here with you. I was very sick and old and it was time for me to go. It is sad I could not stay to live and laugh and work and play. It was such fun to laugh and play to eat and comfort you each day. When I could I saw my friends along the walks I wish would never end. I loved the sun and the rain I loved the grass and all terrain. The pavers were a comfort too Wherever I could lay outside would do. I loved to go for rides, I loved to visit friends. I loved to be outside And feel bad it has to end. I was a very lucky girl that mama prayed to help that dog for which she had to promise God to care for a furry someone in need. In need I was that is for sure and God sent me to her house to endure all my suffering along the way with mama’s and papa’s help each day. For she became mama and there was papa too and sister Daisy doggie and my Marcell and Monique kitties chartreux. I always had the best of care Mama and papa were very rare they were always there. For me they went to whatever end to make sure I had my needs to tend. My doctors were always right on top and be with me nonstop. They always knew just what to do to make sure I came through. Loving and kind and patient you see and I always felt the comfort for the love they had for me. The nurses were nice and kind and caring too with love and patience and skill too. My doctors’ office staffs’ were the best they were always happy to see me they were kind, helpful and endearing. Thank you ALL dear friends for loving me and caring about me too I will always love you. Now it is time to say goodbye. Farewell dear friends I did not die. My body got very sick and old, and tired too and I had to go. But I am still alive and here with you. For those I love who love me too I will always be with you. For those I love and hold so dear I will always be here and near. We are friends there is no end. My mama named me for God’s amazing grace and mazel tov (good luck) She said I was a HAPPY JOYFUL PLAYFUL SPIRIT Love, Mazi TO HAVE THE INSPIRATION AND BE TUNED IN To see and process that which is seen. To understand the connection and relationship between-- is essential and an especially important lesson in reducing the suffering that otherwise maybe. Listen to their body language, they will tell you what they need. Let that be a signal for you to heed. My prayers are to always be aware for with God's Grace I can spare the little souls that have come to me an easier path on their road to eternity. Always be aware of what is there so the babies will be spared; to this their needs there is no compare. Who are we not to dare to make a difference in their lives so that they can see the light and have a safe journey on their flight. Look with a watchful eye ------- Listen and hear with an open ear with an open ear so there will be no fear and this will keep our babies near. Listen and you will hear the baby's plea for what it is they really need. All too often people do not heed the signs to spare the suffering of the intent of the Divine. My heart cries out in pain you see for that which maybe I missed which was the intent to be. To read Mazi's full story of hope and strength, please visit Mazi's Success Story.


My sweet Sydney, You will live forever in my heart and memories and I look forward to the day that we will meet again at Rainbow Bridge. Until then, be happy and healthy my little Angel. With all my love, Mom (Marci), Mark, Bosco and Grandma Judee   The Rainbow Bridge Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... Author Unknown


In loving memory of my beautiful Grissom.  I still miss him each and every day.  He was my heart. I pray that one day no dog will have to suffer from Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia.

Kensington Hayes

Thank you for honoring and caring for our precious sweet boy and our family throughout his wonderful life! We are forever greatful!

1 | 2